Courtview – Rogers Hall

Courtview - Rogers Hall
Marker located at the northern most point of Court Street

George Washington Foster, planter, built this Greek Revival mansion. An act of the legislature was required to close Court Street. In fall of 1864 it was headquarters of Nathan B. Forrest, General, CSA. Foster’s daughter, Sarah Independence McDonald and her family, lived here until 1900 when it became the home of Governor Emmet O’Neal. In 1922 it was acquired by Thomas M. Rogers, Sr., and in 1948 by the University of North Alabama. Listed: Historic American Buildings Survey, National Register of Historic Places

Rogers Hall circa 2010
Rogers Hall circa 2010

Simpson House – Irvine Place – Coby Hall

Simpson House - Irvine Place - Coby Hall
Marker located on Court Street just south of Irvine Avenue

Built by John Simpson in 1843, on the site of his earlier home, this residence was occupied at various times by both armies during the Civil War. Purchased in 1867 by George W. Foster, builder of Courtview, for his daughter, Virginia, and her husband, James B. Irvine. Their daughter, Virginia, left the home to her great-niece, Harriet Rogers King, in 1939. Mrs. King and her husband, Madding, restored Irvine Place in 1948. Acquired in 1990 by David Brubaker and donated to the University of North Alabama in memory of his wife, Coby Stockard Brubaker. Listed: National Register of Historic Places

Coby Hall circa 2010
Coby Hall circa 2010