Built by Andrew Jackson, 1816-1820. Shortened by 200 miles the route from Nashville to New Orleans for movement of supply wagons and artillery. Built with U.S. funds and troops. Followed in part Doublehead’s Road from Columbia, Tenn., to Muscle Shoals. After 1819 mail route was transferred from Natchez Trace to pass through Florence via Military Road. A portion of Hood’s army followed the road to Franklin and Nashville in 1864. In later years called Jackson Highway.