Built in the 1840’s, acquired by Edward Asbury O’Neal. Occupied various times during the Civil War by Federals and Confederates. Edward A. O’Neal (1818-1890) attended LaGrange College; lawyer, Colonel of the 26th Alabama Regiment, C.S.A.; appointed brigadier general. Governor, 1882-1886. Emmet O’Neal (1853-1922), lawyer; Governor, 1911-1915; lived in nearby Courtview.
Built in 1926 in the Spanish Revival architectural style, this is the first structure in Florence erected with a steel skeleton supporting the floors, walls, and roof. The framework is strong enough to support two more stories than were actually built. This building was individually listed in The National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
For the last half of the 19th Century, the Florence Synodical Female College was one of the leading seminaries in the South. Situated in a town whose people are noted for culture, refinement and hospitality it was destined for success.
Founded in 1855, by the Presbyterian Synod of Nashville, the college sent out hundreds of cultivated Christian women to “refine and adorn the land” and regarded woman not as a mere ornament to society, but as an equal factor with man in the life and progress of the age.
The campus (which sat on the site of the current Florence Post Office) consisted of two substantial brick buildings (a dormitory and an academic building) that took up the entire city block. The campus offered easy access to downtown stores and churches.
Florence Synodical Female College closed its doors in 1893.