Wesleyan Hall – 1855

Wesleyan Hall historical marker
Marker located on the University of North Alabama campus near Wood Ave. and Circular Dr.

Chartered 1856 as Florence Wesleyan University, R.H. Rivers, President. Regarded as North Alabama’s most eminent landmark, this Gothic Revival structure was designed by Adolphus Heiman, Nashville, and built by Zebulon Pike Morrison, Florence, as new home for LaGrange College (organized 1830 by Methodists). Used by both armies at various times during Civil War. Deeded to State of Alabama, 1872, as first coeducational teacher training institution south of Ohio river. School expanded to become University of North Alabama in 1974. Listed: National Register of Historic Places

Wesleyan Hall photograph circa 2010
Wesleyan Hall photograph circa 2010