Colonel Pickett Place – 1833

Colonel Pickett Place historical marker
Marker located at the intersection of Hermitage Drive and Seminary

This “double-pile cottage” is a rare Alabama example of Tidewater architecture that originated along the Southern seaboard during the colonial period. This house was built in 1833 by Thomas J. Crowe, proprietor of the early National Hotel in Florence, as a wedding gift for his bride, Elizabeth Hooks of Tennessee. It later became the home of Richard Oric Pickett, who arrived in 1843 to become one of the town’s leading attorneys. Pickett was Colonel of the 10th Alabama Infantry under General Philip Roddey, called the “Defender of North Alabama” during the Civil War.

Pickett Place photograph circa 2010
Pickett Place photograph circa 2010