Chartered 1856 as Florence Wesleyan University, R.H. Rivers, President. Regarded as North Alabama’s most eminent landmark, this Gothic Revival structure was designed by Adolphus Heiman, Nashville, and built by Zebulon Pike Morrison, Florence, as new home for LaGrange College (organized 1830 by Methodists). Used by both armies at various times during Civil War. Deeded to State of Alabama, 1872, as first coeducational teacher training institution south of Ohio river. School expanded to become University of North Alabama in 1974. Listed: National Register of Historic Places
Oldest state-supported teachers college south of Ohio R.
1830 – opened as LaGrange college (Methodist) at nearby Leighton. First chartered college in state.
1855 – moved here and re-named Florence Wesleyan University. Flourished until closed by war in 1865.
1872 – deeded to State by church; became Florence State Normal School.
1926 – present name adopted